Tangents is a Sydney-based quintet that melds electronic production, experimental rock and free improvisation.
Adrian Lim-Klumpes – piano, Rhodes, vibraphone, marimba, pedals
Evan Dorrian – drum kit, percussion
Ollie Bown – computer
Peter Hollo – cello, effects
Shoeb Ahmad – guitar, pedals
Lake George (official video)
Swells Under Tito (official video)
- “Tangents artfully mix acoustic instruments and electronics in pieces that combine improvisation with careful processing. At their best, they bring to mind Can, Tortoise, Four Tet, and the Necks.” – Philip Sherburne’s in-depth 7.8 scoring review at Pitchfork.
- “It’s almost inevitable that this album will incite comparisons to jazzy, electronic-friendly post-rock groups such as Tortoise and Fridge… but it doesn’t seem like a rehash of any particular artist or sound… Stateless is an incredibly refreshing listen.”– ☆☆☆☆ review from Paul Simpson at AllMusic.
- “…there is a feeling of having been somewhere and witnessed something, even if you haven’t moved an inch while listening to this remarkable, transportive music.” – Scott Wallace at Sydney Scoop.
- “It’s genuinely, breathlessly exciting and although it’s sometimes hard to tell where the live work stops and the studio fiddling begins, it comes across something like a live rendition of the best of what IDM nutters like Squarepusher spewed out. … this is one of the records of the year, so don’t you miss it.” – Chris Cobcroft at 4ZZZ FM.
- “The quintet are so comfortable working with jazz, folk music, post-rock and electronic music that the track comfortably hangs in a space between them all.” — FACT Magazine on single “Jindabyne”.
- “a provocative view of their chosen art form, and a bold soundtrack to our contemplations” – CP Khoo at theMusic.com.au reviewing a live performance at the National Gallery of Victoria.
- “an exercise in beat-laden serenity” – Treble listing Stateless in their 10 Best Jazz Albums of 2016.
- “Encompassing jazz, post-rock and electronic music, the quintet played two 30-minute sets of entirely improvised music. It was right up there with the likes of Four Tet – a delight to behold.” – Chris Komorek at theMusic.com.au reviewing a live performance at WOMADelaide, 2017.
Contact Tangents: mail at tangentsmusic dot com
UK/EU Bookings: Phantom Limb, andrew at phantom-limb dot co dot UK or +44 7504 500 907.
Australia and rest-of-the-world Bookings: Top Shelf, jordan at topshelf dot com dot au or +61 408 962 319.